Prince Manufacturing Corporation had its beginnings in a small machine shop on Water Street in Sioux City, Iowa in 1941. The company, then known as Prince Hydraulics, was started by John Prince. His son, Richard, incorporated the business in September 1950 with a contract for 100 simple, single-acting hydraulic cylinders. John became the first president, and co-founders Arthur C. Gall, and F. John Roost became Vice President and Secretary/Treasurer, respectively. In its infancy, the company made welded style cylinders primarily for the agricultural market as well as truck and trailer.
Prince moved into a new corporate office building in 1997 at their location in North Sioux City, South Dakota. That same year, to accommodate the ever-increasing demand for small bore cylinders, a new facility was opened in Yankton, South Dakota called Lewis and Clark Hydraulics. The 40,000 square foot facility builds welded cylinders up to 4” in diameter.
In 2004, Prince opened a new Engineering and Technology Center next to the corporate headquarters. This facility allowed for growth in the Engineering and Information Technology departments to support the needs of an ever-growing customer base.